Thursday, January 20, 2011

Just in time for Valentine's ;)

I've finally written my first crochet pattern! I was browsing around on Ravelry and Etsy and was inspired that everyone is crafting with Valentine's Day in mind. I decided I should start simple, so here it is:




Sleep Mask, or Not ;)

I used a size G hook and cotton yarn.

Ch=Chain
SC=Single Crochet
Sk=Skip

Chain 7.

R1) SC in 2nd chain from hook and in each ch to end (6 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R2 - 3) SC in each SC (6 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R4) 2 SC in 1st SC. SC in next 4 SC. 2 SC in the last SC (8 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R5) SC in each SC (8 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R6) 2 SC in 1st SC. SC in next 6 SC. 2 SC in the last SC (10 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R7 - 8) SC in each SC (10 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R9) Sk 1st SC, SC in next 7 SC. SC2TOG. (8 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R10) SC in each SC (8 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R11) SC in next 6 SC. SC2TOG. (7 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R12) Sk 1st SC, SC in next 6 SC. (6 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R13) SC in next 4 SC. SC2TOG. (5 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R14) Sk 1st SC, SC in next 4 SC. (4 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R15) SC in next 3 SC. 2 SC in last SC. (5 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R16) 2 SC in 1st SC. SC in next 4 SC. (6 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R17) SC in next 5 SC. 2 SC in last SC. (7 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R18) 2 SC in 1st SC. SC in next 6 SC. (8 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R19) SC in each SC (8 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R20) 2 SC in 1st SC. SC in next 6 SC. 2 SC in last SC (10 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R21 - 22) SC in each SC (10 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R23) Sk 1st SC, SC in next 7 SC. SC2TOG (8 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R24) SC in each SC (8 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R25) Sk 1st SC, SC in next 5 SC. SC2TOG (6 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R26 - 28) SC in each SC (6 SC total). Ch 1, turn.

R29) This is the edging row. As we all know, it's a little difficult to decide where to place stitches on the edges, so use your best judgment and remember that your way is the right way ;) SC in next 5 SC. 3 SC in last SC (one for the side, one for the corner, one for the bottom). I have 32 SC total spaced evenly across the bottom edge (not counting the ones in each corner). Be sure to put 3 SC in your last SC on the bottom to create the corner and the first stitch on the other side. SC in next 4 SC (across other side). 3 SC in next SC (one for the side, one for the corner, one for the top). I have 29 SC total spaced evenly across the top side (not counting the corner stitches). Make sure you remember to put the last corner stitch in. Join with a slip stitch to the first SC. You should have 6 stitches on each side, 1 stitch for each of the four corners, 29 across the top, and 32 across the bottom. Use your best judgment here to get the right look for the edging. Once complete, don't cut your yarn just yet, as your next step is to make the straps.

I made straps on my eye mask, mostly because I was envisioning the tying and untying process might be a little bit fun and flirty if this mask was used for anything but sleeping. ;) I just saw that a fellow Raveler made hers into a band which is definitely more functional for actually sleeping. Imagine sleeping on a big bow or knot?! Crochet is up to the artist, so you choose...

Anyways, here's how I made the straps...

Next, chain 51. SC in 2nd chain from hook and in the following 49 stitches (50 SC total). Join with sl stitch to the side. This forms the first strap or tie.

Join yarn on the other side and repeat for the second tie. Finish off and weave in the ends.

Enjoy! ;)

Since this is my very first written pattern, I welcome all comments and suggestions. :)

2 comments:

  1. This was great. Fast and easy. I have just one suggestion, it's kind of knit picky though. After you've finished the border, could you maybe specify to not cut the yarn but to then continue on to chain the straps? I almost cut it thinking I would make the straps separate. I am sure most people won't trip up on this but I just wanted to share.

    Thanks so much for posting this. I was a lot of fun to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Candice :) I edited my post just a bit. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that people have already started working on my pattern and I just posted it last night! The response is great so far and I'm glad people are enjoying! I love free patterns ;)

    ReplyDelete